Launch of the fourth edition of the "Training of Young Professionals in Spanish Gastronomy 2011" program.
The Training of Young Professionals in Spanish Gastronomy Program was created in 2007 by the Spanish Institute for Foreign Trade (ICEX) in response to the growing international influence of Spanish cuisine that, in recent years, has become a leader for creativity and innovation in culinary techniques, raising awareness of the huge diversity and quality of Spain’s most emblematic products.
The training program lasts for eight months and consists of three stages:
- Stage One: participants receive an intensive course in the Spanish language lasting four weeks and a three-week training period of immersion in Spanish culture, gastronomic history and products.
- Stage Two: this involves a stay at an internationally renowned restaurant with a prestigious reputation for a period of six months. In the 2009 program, some 22 restaurants participated (El Bulli, Arzak, El Celler de Can Roca, Martín Berasategui, Akelarre, Mugaritz, El Poblet, Adolfo, Calima, Santo Mauro, Echaurren, Abac, Oriol Balaguer, La Terraza del Casino, Café de París, Las Rejas, Alkimia, Casa Gerardo, Guggenheim and El Chaflán).
- Stage Three: the training program finishes with a competition in which the young chefs demonstrate the knowledge they have acquired in Spanish cooking and ingredients.
Who is the program aimed at?
Young professionals from Germany, France, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Russia, USA, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, China-Hong-Kong, United Arab Emirates, India, Singapore and Japan, although applications from candidates in other countries will also be considered on an individual basis.
Maximum number of participants: 20
- To have completed at least the first three courses at a culinary college of recognized status or to have experience in well-known restaurants in the candidate’s country of origin.
- Preference will be given to candidates under 30 years of age.
- Priority will be given to candidates that have knowledge of English and Spanish and to those who have not participated previously in similar programs, in terms of content and objectives, in Spain.
The application period is open until: 20 September 2010